A dental implant is a surgical procedure in which a replacement tooth is anchored to the jawbone using a small titanium screw. The implant serves as a substitute for the root of a missing natural tooth and can be used to support a crown, bridge, or denture.
Table of Contents
So What Is
- Dental implants are metal posts or frames that are implanted into the bone of the upper or lower jaw. Once the implants are in place, the dentist can attach the dentures to them.
- Implantation is an operation during which an implant is implanted into the gum. It mimics the root of a tooth and can be created from a variety of materials.
Types and Methods
The type of material determines:
- strength and long service life of the implant;
- how the gum reacts to it – i.e. its ability to easily be implanted into living tissue;
- its cosmetic side.
Most often used for the implant:
- Titanium and its alloys – with aluminum, vanadium, niobium, molybdenum, etc. Such implants are durable, lightweight, not rejected by the body and are affordable. The term that they can serve is from 25 years and for life, since titanium grows together with bone tissue. This is the most common type of implant.
- Zirconium dioxide. Used when the patient is allergic to metal. Another significant advantage is that such a “root” is not visible through the gum. However, the zirconium implant is the most expensive of the existing ones.
Visually, the shape of the implant can be:
- screw, or pin;
- rod, or cylinder;
- plate – used when the jaw has too narrow bone.
The implant design levels:
Level 1 – the lower, or root – the one that is in the gum.
Level 2 – the so-called abutment – an adapter head onto which the crown is screwed.
Level 3 – upper, or tooth crown.
Dental implantation surgery stages:
Stage 1 – implantation of the implant under local anesthesia, takes about 10 minutes. 10-14 days after this, the patient will have a suture removal procedure.
Stage 2, after 3 months for the lower jaw / 4 months for the upper jaw – installation of the so-called. a gingiva former for 7-14 days. This is a small cylinder with a screw – which is screwed into the implant so that a hole for the future crown is formed in the gum.
Stage 3 – installation of the abutment and, in fact, the denture. The shelf life of the crown is from 5-7 to 15-20 years, depending on the material. When replacing a crown, the implant does not need to be replaced.
Restoration of several teeth:
- All-On-4 Dental Implants:
The all-on-4 implantation technique includes a complete dental arch rehabilitation in which all teeth are supported by four implants. It involves the placement of four implants (which will support 10 to 14 custom crowns) in either the upper or lower jaw, or both.
- All-On-6 Dental Implants:
Like the all-in-4 method, the all-in-6 method involves placing six dental implants in the upper or lower jaw to support 10-14 custom crowns.
All-on-4 and all-on-6 implants are recommended for patients with severe caries or tooth loss, or for those whose jaw bone density does not allow them to place separate dental implants.
- Personal consultation with your treating doctor in your clinic and detailed examination of your tooth. As a precondition for a dental implant your gums and jawbone must be free of inflammation, and you must have sufficient jaw bone for the implant to be placed.
- Digital simulation of before and after pictures
- Panorama X-ray of your teeth
- On the base of the 3D images of your jawbone, teeth, maxillary sinuses and nerve course a drilling template will be produced. This allows the implant to be drilled with precision into the jawbone.
- Measuring of the tooth gap so that the dental implant can be prepared accordingly.
- Afterwards, you can relax, rest in the hotel and enjoy the Spa!
- Your new dental implant is ready now!
- Thorough cleaning of the tooth
- The gums are opened with a small incision and the jaw is exposed.
- With the help of the drilling template made individually for you, the implant bed is drilled into the jaw with special drills.
- The artificial tooth root is then screwed into the jawbone and the wound is closed.
- You will not feel any pain as the entire procedure is performed under local anesthesia, but you will feel the vibration of the drill.
- Final interview with your treating doctor. You will be informed about what you should keep in mind for the next few days.
- The first step of your treatment is finished.
You will receive the lifetime guarantee as well as the certificate for your Dental Implant
After 3 Months:
It’s time for your second visit to Istanbul, as the implant is now firmly grown together with your jawbone.
- Personal consultation with your treating doctor in your clinic and detailed examination of your teeth
- Decision on the color of your zirconia crown
- Measuring of the teeth so that the dental crown can be prepared accordingly. An impression is taken for this purpose. The dental technician needs this for the accurate fabrication of your dental crown.
- Afterwards, you can go to your hotel and relax.
Now you can explore the city and enjoy your holiday!
- Your new crown is ready now and can be attached to the dental implant!
- To do this, the implant is exposed with a small incision.
- The cover screw is exchanged for an abutment that supports your crown.
- Insertion and fixation of the new crowns.
- Checking if the crown causes any sensation of pressure or pain and correction if necessary.
- You will not feel any pain as the entire procedure is performed under local anesthesia.
Take a look in the mirror now! Are you amazed by your new teeth?
- Your treatment is completed!
- Final interview with your treating doctor, who will inform you about what you should keep in mind for the next few days.
Dental Implants for:
- For those who need one tooth replacement.
- For those who need to replace multiple teeth.
- For those who need to replace a prosthesis with a bridge supported by multiple implants.
- Those with sufficient density and volume of the jaw bone (otherwise, bone grafting may be required).
Dental Implants Recovery Timeline:
- The healing of the implantation site and the gums usually takes about a week.
- The healing time after the implantation session is usually 4–6 months.
Possible Risks for Dental Implants:
- Implant failure (5-10%).
- Infection at the site of implantation.
- Injury or damage to surrounding structures (teeth or blood vessels).
- Damage to nerves during implant placement, causing pain or numbness.
- Violation of the integration of the implant into the bone.
Of course, we will also take care of you after your treatment!
Our medical consultants will take care of you during 1 year after the surgery.
If you need any assistance, if you have questions, you can contact our staff at any time.
Dental Implant Healing Process
In total, the healing process will take several months.
The procedure is performed under local anesthesia, therefore you will not feel any pain. You may experience some slight swelling in the mouth area for the first few days after the implant is placed. However, this can be easily handled with conventional painkillers.
Please do not eat anything until the local anesthesia has completely worn off. Otherwise, you run the risk of biting yourself. After that, the place where the implant was placed should not be stressed for a while so that it can heal into the jaw.
You can eat, bite, talk and laugh with an implant-supported denture just like with your natural teeth. Since the denture is firmly attached to the implant, you can feel totally relaxed.
A dental implant can last a lifetime. However, good oral hygiene and care are important for maintaining the functionality of the implant and implant-supported dentures. If possible, you should use dental floss to remove all food particles.
Dental Implant costs by country
The cost of Dental Implant depends on the experience of the dentist, the brand used, the clinic or hospital you choose and your individual health condition.
The prices listed below are intended to give you an approximate idea and are not a final quotation. Your MedClincs consultant will be happy to provide you with details.
|Turkey||~ 760 €||★★★★★|
|Croatia||~ 1,050 €||★★★★|
|Mexico||~ 1080 €||★★★|
|Poland||~ 1,100 €||★★★|
|UK||~ 1,780 €||★★★|
|Germany||~ 2,080 €||★★★|
|USA||~ 2650 €||★★★|
Dental Implant Procedure Video
Why is a dental implant cheaper in Turkey?
In Turkey, salary and living costs are lower than in Europe, and the government subsidizes the health sector. Therefore, dental treatment in Turkey can be done at a much lower cost without sacrificing quality and standard.
Is it safe to have dental treatment in Turkey?
With over 1.5 million medical tourists a year, Turkey is one of the top three health tourism leaders in the world. The health care system in Turkey is strictly monitored and regulated to guarantee the best quality and the highest standards of treatment. Experienced doctors together with a professional team take care of patients professionally and competently. It is safe to undergo dental treatment in Turkey.
What are the advantages of dental treatment in Turkey?
You save on costs, benefit from international quality and avoid long waiting times. In Turkey, you will receive an appointment for dental treatment in a short time, in Germany you will have to wait weeks. Our contract clinics work closely with laboratories and dental technicians, some of which have their own laboratories. Thus, making dental crowns and implants in just a few days is no problem. Another advantage is the short flight times from Europe.
Are there good dentists in Turkey?
Turkey is one of the best countries for dental treatment. On the list of top ten dental tourism countries, Turkey ranks fourth after Poland, Hungary and the Czech Republic. With approximately 86 million population, Turkey ranks 17th in the world in terms of population. Doctors have a lot of practical experience compared to other countries, which makes them competent professionals.
What are the equipment of the clinics where dental treatment is done in Turkey?
Our clinics offer the comfort of a 5-star, high-class hotel. The medical equipment meets international standards of the highest level. Across Turkey, 600 clinics have been awarded the coveted JCI certificate, which attests to safe and effective treatment methods, structured working methods and comfortable conditions. In comparison, fewer than 10 clinics in Germany hold this certificate.
Can I combine my dental treatment with a sightseeing tour?
Of course, you can and should even combine the pleasant with the useful! Even while you are waiting for your new implant or crown, explore Istanbul with the Istanbul Welcome Card Premium. After your treatment is finished, continue your sightseeing without any worries.
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root that is inserted into the jawbone. The actual dental prosthesis, for example a custom-made crown, is then fixed firmly to it.
What are the advantages of a dental implant compared to a conventional bridge?
One of the biggest advantages of an implant-supported dental prosthesis is that healthy neighboring teeth do not have to be ground down, as is the case with a conventional bridge. Lifelong stability as well as natural appearance, wearing and chewing comfort, safety and aesthetics are significant additional advantages.
Is dental implant treatment painful?
Since the procedure is performed under local anaesthesia, you will not feel any pain. You may experience some slight swelling in the mouth area for the first few days after the implant is placed. However, this can be easily handled with conventional painkillers.
How long do dental implants last?
A dental implant can last a lifetime. However, good oral hygiene and care are important for maintaining the functionality of the implant and implant-supported dentures.
Even in ancient times, people understood the benefits of tooth replacement.
Archaeologists have found skulls of ancient people whose missing teeth were replaced with items made from various materials, such as iron and seashells. Despite all the primitiveness of the materials and methods available then, the bone successfully fused with some of these implants. This fusion is called osseointegration and is a prerequisite for the reliable functioning of the implant.
Titanium dental implants began to be widely used in the 1970s. Titanium has a number of advantages: it is lightweight, durable and is not perceived by the body as a foreign material, that is, it is biocompatible. It is currently the most widely used metal for artificial joints and dental implants.
The goal of modern dentistry is to restore oral health to patients. An implant-supported prosthesis often means a more predictable course of treatment than traditional restorations. Doctors and the public are learning more and more about this area of dentistry. Implant dentistry has finally become an established field.
Types of Dental Treatment:
You might also be interested in ...
Find the best Treatments and most Popular Doctors & Clinics
Find the best Care Facilities for your needs!
All you need to know - including Clinics, Costs, Doctors & Prices
Wellness, Relaxation & Rejuvenation ... Find the best Spa Centers 2023
Compare Doctors, Clinics, Hospitals & Prices! Let’s find your perfect match!
Prevention saves lives! Get your Check-up now!
Artificial Insemination | Best Methods & Success Rates
Compare Prices, Clinics & Doctors
All you need to know ... complete guide to genital cosmetic surgery
Get your skin conditions solved by professionals ...
Interesting, informative and hopeful facts from the field of neurology ...
Fight against Immobility
Wounder in our Body | Best Treatments 2023
Best Surgeons, Clinics & Costs 2023
Find the best Treatments and most Popular Doctors & Clinics
All you need to know - including Clinics, Costs, Doctors & Prices