Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty
is the most common surgical method to eliminate sagging skin and fat accumulation in the upper, middle and lower abdomen, as well as to tighten the abdominal muscles.
Table of Contents
So What Is
Tummy Tuck is the most common surgical method to eliminate sagging skin and fat accumulation in the upper, middle and lower abdomen, as well as to tighten the abdominal muscles. As a result of this method, used for sagging in the abdomen, a noticeable improvement is usually achieved. At the end of the operation, a mark that is longer than the mark after a cesarean remains on the bikini line and becomes invisible over time. (Depending on your wound healing responses).
It eliminates the following negative phenomena:
- stretching of the skin and loss of its elasticity after the birth of a large fetus or multiple pregnancy;
- sagging skin due to significant weight loss;
- excess subcutaneous fat, which cannot be eliminated in any other way;
- ptosis, that is, sagging of the anterior abdominal wall;
- diastasis, or discrepancy, as well as a strong stretching of the rectus abdominis muscles;
- multiple stretch marks (striae) and scars from operations and injuries;
- excess subcutaneous fat;
- hernias: umbilical, white line of the abdomen, inguinal.
Types and Methods
There are following types of Tummy Tuck:
- Full abdominoplasty
- Extended tummy tuck
- Mini abdominoplasty
- Fleur de lis Abdominoplasty
- Brazilian tummy tuck
- Reverse tummy tuck
- Endoscopic Abdominoplasty
- Those who are in good overall health but have excess skin throughout the abdominal area as a result of childbearing or weight loss.
- Those who have severely weakened or separated stomach muscles.
- Those who have realistic expectations for the outcome of tummy tuck surgery.
Abdominoplasty is not suitable for:
- Those who have oncology; diabetes autoimmune diseases,
- For women during pregnancy or breastfeeding,
- Those who have chronic diseases during an exacerbation, diseases of the cardiovascular system, lungs,
- Those with problems with blood clotting.
- The duration of the operation is between 2 – 5 hours.
- You stay 1 – 2 nights in hospital, in total you should plan 7 days for abdominoplasty.
- Patients usually require two days in hospital immediately after the procedure.
- Most people are fully recovered from their abdominoplasty within six weeks.
- Numbness around the tummy
- Swelling and scarring
- Buildup of fluid
Cities & Countries for Tummy Tuck
Meet your treating doctor
Detailed examination of the belly
Final discussion of the surgical method and the type of correction to be performed.
Come to the clinic with empty stomach and do the blood control
Second consultation with your treating doctor after the results of the blood test are available.
Preparation and start of the surgery: The procedure is performed under general anesthesia, so you will not feel any pain.
A standard Abdominoplasty surgery takes 2 – 5 hours, depending on the difficulty of the operation.
After the operation, you will be taken to your private room in hospital.
After the general anesthesia, you will spend 1 or 2 nights in the hospital under medical monitoring.
Consultation with your treating doctor
Information about what you should pay attention to in the next few days
To prevent possible pain and reduce swelling in the surgical area, we strongly recommend that you diligently use the medications that your doctor will prescribe.
Consultation with your doctor
Afterward you will leave the clinic, go back to your hotel and relax
Last Control in Hospital
Consultation with your treating doctor
Detailed examination of the operated area
Aftercare & Healing Process
Of course, we will also take care of you after your treatment!
Our medical consultants will take care of you during 1 year after the surgery.
If you need any assistance, if you have questions, you can contact our staff 24/7.
We will ask you to send pictures to see the progress 2 weeks, 2 months, 6 months and 1 year after the operation.
The healing process in total will take about several months.
In the first weeks after an abdominoplasty, you will feel pain and tension in your abdomen, which can be relieved by pain relievers. Swelling, redness, and soreness after surgery are normal.
But, if you notice that the swelling has increased sharply, the skin turns red, the temperature has risen, purulent discharge from the wound appears, or the stitches have parted, you should immediately consult a doctor.
With a professionally performed abdominoplasty, complications are rare, but still possible. The most common complications are infection and bleeding, it happens that hematomas are formed, which must be removed.
For the first four to five days, the patient will have to stay in bed with the head and legs raised. But you shouldn’t lie still all the time, in other case blood clots can form in the veins of the legs.
It is recommended to sit down and move carefully (in a bent position) within four to six hours after the operation. Usually, the first two days after the operation pass in the hospital, after which the drains are removed and the patient is discharged home.
You should wear compression stockings for at least five days, compression garments for four to six weeks, unless your doctor recommends a longer period. It is necessary to completely eliminate physical activity, including cooking and cleaning the house.
The stitches are removed after 10–14 days. From this point you need to apply special silicone dressings to the seam area or use silicone-based ointments. They contribute to the formation of a thin and invisible scar.
In no case should the abdomen and the seam area be exposed to sunlight – this can negatively affect the healing process. It is very important to follow the correct regimen after abdominoplasty, not to over strain.
Physical activity, sports, are prohibited for six months after the operation. This does not apply to physiotherapy exercises, a special set of exercises that the doctor will recommend.
You can shower from the moment the stitches are removed. It will be possible to take a bath only after one and a half to two months, and it is better to postpone the sauna and steam bath altogether for a long time – at least six months.
Bumps, irregularities in the abdominal area within six months after the operation are a variant of the norm, the final result of this surgery becomes visible after six months.
Top Tummy Tuck costs by country
The cost of Tummy Tuck depends on the experience of the surgeon, the technique used, the clinic or hospital you choose and your individual health condition.
The prices listed below are intended to give you an approximate idea and are not a final quotation. Your MedClincs consultant will be happy to provide you with details.
|Czech Republic||~ 4000€||★★★|
|United Kingdom||~ 10000€||★★|
What is Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) surgery?
Abdominoplasty is an operation that removes excess skin and subcutaneous fat from the abdomen and tightens the abdominal muscles. The operation is performed on both women and men. There are many different types of abdominoplasty, but the more commonly used are full and mini abdominoplasty.
What is Mini Abdominoplasty?
This is an aesthetic correction with the removal of a small amount of skin and adipose tissue. Usually performed in patients with functional problems after childbirth (hernia, diastasis), with minor aesthetic defects and if the patient does not have a significant excess of adipose tissue (obesity), but there is a cosmetic defect in the form of excess skin. The incision is made in the bikini area. A pre-existing caesarean section is often used for access. The belly button remains in place after mini-abdominoplasty.
What is Full Abdominoplasty?
This is a method of abdominoplasty, which is used if the abdominal skin is overstretched and hangs down with an apron, the surgeon not only removes excess fat and tightens the skin, but also sutures the muscles of the abdominal wall. In this case, the belly button is transferred. This is a more complex operation and the scars are larger.
What is Extended Abdominoplasty?
It is used for severe body fat, when the skin on the abdomen, sides, lower back is overstretched and deformed and there are stretch marks. This is a major correction that removes excess tissue and fat deposits not only from the abdomen, but also from the back and thighs. Scars and stretch marks are also eliminated. If, after the areas of excess skin have been removed, the umbilical ring is deformed or displaced from the midline, then the navel is transferred to its original place, making a new hole in the skin for it – an abdominoplasty is performed with the movement of the navel. This surgery has a lifelong effect on patients who maintain their weight afterwards.
What is Reversive Abdominoplasty?
Reverse abdominoplasty is an operation used to correct the shape of the abdomen when the upper abdomen and chest sag. Such cases often occur after significant weight loss. Correction of the soft tissues of the abdominal and chest walls is recommended to be performed simultaneously, using a reverse abdominoplasty. The incision is made in the skin folds under the breast. This allows you to perform abdominal plastic surgery with breast augmentation and lift, and hide the scar under the breast.
Is it safe to have Tummy Tuck in Turkey?
With over 2 million medical tourists per year, Turkey is one of the three world leaders in health tourism. Experienced doctors, together with a professional team, take care of patients expertly and competently. With approximately 86 million population, Turkey ranks 17th in the world in terms of population. Doctors have a lot of practical experience compared to other countries, which makes them competent professionals. It is safe to have Tummy Tuck in Turkey.
What are the advantages of Tummy Tuck in Turkey?
You save money and costs, benefit from international quality and avoid long waiting times. In Turkey, you get the appointment for your Abdominoplasty at short notice, in Germany you have to wait weeks. The short flight time from Europe is another advantage.
Who is suitable for Tummy Tuck?
You’re a good candidate for tummy tuck, if you are in good overall health but have excess skin (that has lost its elasticity) throughout the abdominal area. You may also have severely weakened or separated stomach muscles. You should be at a stable weight that you feel you can maintain following tummy tuck surgery. You must not smoke, or be prepared to stop smoking for several weeks prior to and after surgery. Finally, you should have realistic expectations for the outcome of tummy tuck surgery. For instance, while tummy tuck surgery will give you a firmer abdominal profile, it also leaves a horizontal scar that extends from hip bone to hip bone. If you are okay with having a scar that you can hide beneath an underwear or bathing suit line in exchange for having the appearance of a six pack, you may benefit from tummy tuck surgery.
When will I see the result?
The final assessment of the result of abdominoplasty is possible in six months – a year after abdominal plastic surgery. Throughout this period, you need to see a doctor 1, 3, 6, 12 months after the operation. For the best preservation of the results of abdominoplasty, you need to follow all the doctor’s recommendations and monitor your weight.
Can I give birth after Tummy Tuck?
If you are planning a second birth, it is better to postpone the operation, because it loses all meaning. The belly after childbirth may sag again. If, nevertheless, an operation was performed, then it is recommended to plan a pregnancy no earlier than in a year. Changes can only affect the aesthetic aspect. No harm to health.
Mankind learned about the possibility of abdominoplasty in the 19th century.
- There is a documented precedent for successful reshaping of the abdomen. The ancestor is the surgeon D. Hopkins, who worked in Baltimore. He developed and implemented a technique for correcting the shape of the abdomen in 1899, calling this technique dermatolipectomy.
- The second operation, later called abdominoplasty, was performed by the doctor Kelia in the same year. He removed 7.5 kg of excess fat from the patient, successfully tightening the skin of the abdominal walls and giving the figure an elegant contour.
- Somewhat later, two surgeons, Gaud and Merestin, removed the patient’s umbilical hernia, forming a new navel after tightening the skin of the abdomen. They used a technique most suitable for the modern understanding of abdominoplasty. Further, specialists from different countries began to actively work on improving the technologies of tummy tuck, trying to achieve the most effective way to correct the appearance.
- In 1916, the surgeon Babcock used a technique unique for that time to separate the skin-fat flaps of the abdominal wall in order to remove sagging, wrinkles, and flabbiness.
- Then the surgeon Torek, in 1924, using the technique of a horizontal incision followed by excision of excess skin, successfully performed an abdominoplasty.
- 1957 Surgeon K. Vernon is developing a universal technology for moving the navel, after removing excess fatty tissues of the abdomen, using a transverse incision in the lower abdomen.
The main patients, both before and now, are women, although in recent years men have also sought to give attractive contours to the figure, using tummy tuck. Modern techniques, innovative technical capabilities, equipment of the plastic surgery clinic allow achieving amazing results, minimizing possible complications after this surgery.
Types of Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasti:
Types of Plastic & Aesthetic Surgery:
All you need to know ... complete guide to genital cosmetic surgery